Looking for a new casino game? You should try baccarat. It is a card comparison game played between two people: the player and the dealer with a conventional deck of 52 cards. There are three possible outcomes when playing baccarat. Either the player or the dealer wins, or there can also be a tie. If either the dealer or the player receives a 0, the dealer may deal more cards to determine the winner.
The Origins of the Game
The origin of the game is an ongoing debate. There are several indications that the first game of baccarat was played in the 19th century. However, other sources claim that the game was introduced by Italian soldiers in France from the Franco-Italian war during the reign of Charles VIII in the late 15th century.
One of the reasons why baccarat is one of the most popular games nowadays is because it is one of the easiest card games to play. You only need to bet on the dealer’s or player’s hand and have a total card value of 9 or as close to that number as possible.
The baccarat scoring system may seem confusing at first, but you will definitely become familiar with it once you know the basics of the game. It is also best to see which bet will yield the most profit by knowing the history of the bookmaker.
With the popularity of baccarat, there are several variants introduced in the market. Some of them are:
- Baccarat Banque – one of the oldest variants, originating from France, in which only 3 decks of cards are used. The first dealer of the round is also the highest bidder.
- Punto Banco – is the classic version of baccarat, but is played with 6 standard decks of 52 cards. Tie betting is allowed only when the player’s and dealer’s hands are equal.
- European baccarat – players can hold their position or draw a card when the value of their hand is 5. The dealer can decide whether to draw an extra card or not.
- Chemin de fer – players can bet against each other. In each round, players take turns playing the dealer with 6 standard decks of cards. Note that the dealer also puts an amount of money to bet.
- Mini Baccarat – played similarly to Punto Banco, but with lower stakes and played on a smaller table or the size of a blackjack table and at a faster pace.
The Best Baccarat Tips You Need to Know
When playing baccarat and other table games, you need to know the basics. This will give you an edge over other players. To have a better chance of winning, here are some of the best baccarat tips to grab the jackpot prize:
Know the rules
Baccarat is one of the easiest card games to play. However, it is best to check the rules first because there are different variants available. Knowing the rules also makes it easier to decide which bet to place. You should also be familiar with the most commonly used baccarat terms. Some of them are:
- Coup – is a French word that describes the hand of a dealer and a player.
- Standoff – term used to describe a draw
- Cut – to split the deck in two, after shuffling the cards.
- Table draw – when all players are dealt a third card
- Burn – discard 3 to 6 cards after shuffling and before the game begins
- Match betting – place the same amount of bets regardless of whether your hand is winning or losing.
Avoid changing your strategy
Even if you already know the basics of the game, avoid changing your strategy in the middle of the game, as this can ruin its flow. If you have a losing streak, it is better to leave the table and play another game.
Pay close attention to the table and observe the movement of the other players. In addition to knowing their strategies, you can also see if they have a winning or losing hand.
Bet on a dealer
It is highly recommended to bet on a dealer at all times. This is because the dealer has a slightly better than 50% chance of winning. If the dealer loses, stay calm and do not jump into another bet.
Play short sessions
If you are new to the gambling community, you should play short sessions of baccarat before placing big bets. This is to make sure you already know the flow of the game. Short baccarat sessions also serve as training for new players.
Check for winning or losing streaks
Keep an eye on the streak because it can predict your chances of winning. If you play on the player’s side and notice that the dealer’s card hits 3 or 4 times in a row, it is in your best interest to wait for the streak to end.
Tied bets do not count
You can always bet on tied bets, but they are somewhat implicit. This simply means that they do not count and only act as a “pause button” on the game. With tied bets, neither the dealer nor the player loses the round.
Play with small bets
Whether you are a frequent bettor or not, it is best to play with small bets. This way, you can avoid betting too much or losing a larger amount of money in the long run.
Forget the system
There is nothing wrong if you want to try different betting methods that people use out there. However, you should not completely rely on them, as there is no evidence that they can guarantee your winnings. It is better to look for the best baccarat strategy that is suitable for you.